Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Speakers

Yesterday we were privileged to have two authors read their work to us.  Tisa Bryant and Douglas Kearney were both mind blowing speakers with confidence, intelligence, and insight which was inspirational, entertaining, and relaxing.  I say relaxing since they created a comfortable environment which was welcoming for any listener to enjoy. 

First, Tisa read from two prose pieces which were filled with concrete language which produced multiple strong images in my mind as she read.  Her words in prose, still have rhythm and prosody, which kept me wanting more.  The ideas of mixing film genre's work with picture but with only words and essays was original and appreciated.  I never knew an essay/story could be so interesting.  Also the after reading the Michael Jackson story, I really would like to purchase, read, and enjoy the story as an entirety.

Then, we heard Douglas Kearney, who instantly drew our attention full force by knocking us off of our guard.  He also told us that is a great stragety to gaining your crowds attention.  His words on the page seem so wild, all over, out of place, no order, just random, but as he reads, its so powerful.  Like the story about the man who was drugged across the ground face first.  I felt the pain of the man through the description, through his voice my heart sank knowing someone has gone through such as thing. 

overall, I had a great time.  Listening to their restrains, their editing processes, their writing processes, especially what Tisa has gone through writing the MJ story.  The questions, and answer part was great, hearing about the voices, practices, and ways of writing from both authors.  Afterward, I had an opportunity to talk with Tisa Bryant.  She was awesome and I didn't know much about her before yesterday but I hope to develop a connection with her since she was kind enough to allow me access to her Email. 

1 comment:

  1. great, and remember to post about the reading assignments every week...

    ReplyDelete